PX-Motion to migrate volumes
This method can be used to migrate volumes between two Portworx clusters. It will not migrate any scheduler specific resources.
- Version: The source AND destination clusters need the v2.0 or later release of PX-Enterprise on both clusters. As future releases are made, the two clusters can have different PX-Enterprise versions (e.g. v2.1 and v2.3). Also requires stork v2.0+ on the source cluster.
- Secret Store : Make sure you have configured a secret store on both your clusters. This will be used to store the credentials for the objectstore.
- Network Connectivity: Ports 9001 and 9010 on the destination cluster should be reachable by the source cluster.
Get cluster token from destination cluster
On the destination cluster, run the following command from one of the Portworx nodes to get the cluster token:
/opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cluster token show
Create the cluster pair
On the source cluster create the clusterpair by running the following command:
$ /opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cluster pair create --ip <ip_of_destination_cluster_node> --token <token_from_destination_cluster>
Verify creation of cluster pair
If the above step is successful you should see the destination cluster in the list of pairs:
$ /opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cluster pair list CLUSTER-ID NAME ENDPOINT CREDENTIAL-ID 2937523c-a8f6-4564-a683-e3b53b92a3b7 (default) disrani-px2 http://192.168.56.106:9001 952e15df-ca3e-49df-8c20-92f862a44a78
Once you have created cluster pairs you can migrate volumes to it
Migration can be done at two granularities. If no ClusterID is specified during migration it’ll pick up the default cluster pair.
- Migrate all volumes from the cluster:
/opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cloudmigrate start --all [ --cluster_id <cluster_id> ]
- Migrate a particular volume from the cluster:
/opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cloudmigrate start --volume_id <volumeId> [ --cluster_id <cluster_id> ]
- The status for a migration can be checked by running the following command:
$ /opt/pwx/bin/pxctl cloudmigrate status CLUSTER UUID: 2937523c-a8f6-4564-a683-e3b53b92a3b7 TASK-ID VOLUME-ID VOLUME-NAME STAGE STATUS LAST-UPDATE 107655ea-0f66-4ffe-99e2-1ef06434aa40 589129994411792979 testVolume Done Complete Sat, 27 Oct 2018 01:12:40 UTC
The stages of migration will progress from Backup→ Restore→Done. If any stage fails the status will be marked as Failed.
If the migration is successful you should be able see the volume(s) with the same name created on the destination cluster.