Install and configure Portworx on VMware Tanzu
- The installation steps below only apply if you’re running with Kubernetes on the TKG or TKGS platforms
- Metro DR is currently not supported when both clusters are running TKG
- For the underlying datastore for the PVs and VMs, do not enable Storage DRS. VSphere CSI driver and Cloud Native Storage does not currently support Storage DRS feature in vSphere
- A running Kubernetes cluster TKG or TKGS.
- If you’re using TKGS, ensure all prerequisites are met based on VMware documentation.
- Enable Workload Management according to VMware Best Practices.
- Ensure the required ports in the
9001:9020range are open on all nodes.
Note: If you’re using encrypted volumes on Tanzu clusters with PhotonOS, Portworx recommends that you install the following packages all nodes:
You can install these packages using the following commands:
yum update -y yum install device-mapper yum install cryptsetup
Create the StorageClass
CSI cloud drive configuration requires a StorageClass with the CSI driver set as a provisioner to be installed in the Kubernetes cluster.
Get a CSI provisioner name by running the following command on your Tanzu Kubernetes cluster. You will use this name in the next step:
kubectl get csidriver
Create a StorageClass. In the
provisionerfield, enter the CSI driver name you got in the step above:
apiVersion: storage.k8s.io/v1 kind: StorageClass metadata: annotations: storageclass.kubernetes.io/is-default-class: "true" name: vsphere-immediate-sc provisioner: <csi_driver_name> allowVolumeExpansion: true reclaimPolicy: Delete volumeBindingMode: Immediate
As part of the installation, you’ll use the spec generator. Perform the following steps to create your Portworx spec and configure your Cloud Drives. This installation method uses the Operator.
To install Portworx with Kubernetes, you must first generate Kubernetes manifests that you will deploy in your cluster:
Navigate to PX-Central and log in, or create an account
Select Install and Run to open the Spec Generator
Select New Spec
Choose either Portworx Enterprise or Portworx Essentials , depending on which license you intend to use:
Select VMware Tanzu Cloud Platform and specify disk size and storage class name you will be using for drives
On the Customize tab, add the following under the Environment Variables section:
- In the
- In the
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --match multiport --dports 9001:9020 -j ACCEPT
- In the